3611. How to Enrich Your Vocabulary and Your Students' One

 We foreign or second language teachers may wish there should be peace and communication amongst people. 

Also we try hard there should be communication and immersion in the target language in the classroom. 

And I am a language learner myself, and I will always be a learner myself. And thus I can help my students learn that target language, namely English. 

Something I do to learn more and more lexis or vocabulary is intensive reading books. Next lesson with my students I will show them the notebook where I register and keep the words I’m learning, in case that may help them out. 

You know, it’s like a diary or journal. Some time in the evening every day I write down one or two… or five words, expressions or idioms I have learned today: words and terms that have attracted my attention, from the classes, or from the Internet, or from the book I’m reading now. 

I write for example a sentence where a nice word showed up in the book I’m reading, maybe with some brief meaning explanation or even the translation into Spanish, and today’s date. 

Maybe I could also write down the source where I took the word from, maybe the phonetic transcription of the word… and that’s it. 

Every word follows a numbering scheme so thus I know how many words I’m learning. 

From time to time I revise a nice number of those words. And… most importantly, I try to utilize them somewhere, during my lesson teaching, or I teach one interesting word to my students, or I use some word when posting on this blog, or whatever else, but please keep in mind that we remember the terms WE USE. No use, no retention or hardly so. 

What else could I tell you today? I would stop here. Later on I could tell you how I do to learn quite many words from the fiction or non-fiction books I read. Have a nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

758. Irregular verbs now and then

399. Creating a story