696. Who's the best rider, you think?




One day teacher of English B said to teacher of English A ,”Normally boys can begin to understand Subject, Verb, etc., when they are about 10 years, according to my experience. I don’t know in girls’ case: also at that age?



Some years ago I taught private classes to a boy of 10, half hour each. After helping do his homework, I started to speak in English. One day we were working on the comparative of adjectives. I put a blank sheet onto the table. And I drew objects or puppets, while having him answer to my questions, ‘What is bigger, House 1 or House 2?’ Also I wrote the adjective in its comparative form, with double ‘g’. We repeated some more comparisons. I used other adjectives, as well a few he hadn’t learned yet. I asked him about real objects of the room, then things out of the center, Real Madrid and Barcelona soccer teams, people, sometimes with a slight stroke of humor. We did the same with the superlative.



Sense of humor - but don’t use it too much - is a good booster for learning. Some exaggerating, unexpected comparisons... all this together with meaningful messages, are important for learning a language.” / Photo from: Stan Burza Speedway Racer - Racing at the RDS irishpressrleases ie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

3659. Learning a Language by (Just) Reading You Said?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

708. Communication unites us