928. This helps be more communicative



One day teacher of English A said to teacher of English B, “I teach adult learners too, like you know. They’re retired people who have worked as many different jobs.

I try classes be communicative, as much as possible. So I try to plan activities that could foster communication in the classes.

For example, sometimes I address one student and tell him or her about a situation, a specific one, in Spanish, which is our mother language. And then I ask the student what he or she would say in English, so as to respond to that situation.

Before that we’ve worked on a list of useful expressions in the target language, by means of having passed on a worksheet with useful expressions for traveling, or when at a restaurant, etc.

The student then says a word, or a phrase, or a sentence to respond to what I had asked. Briefly I give you an example: I ask someone how he would ask for or demand the check (or bill) at a pub. And the student will say something concerning the check (or bill).

It’s so simple, we have fun, and in some way all that stuff is communication. I also implement other activities, trying to aim at communication in English – all in this latter language if possible.” / Photo from: nationaltransportmuseum org. guinness truck    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

3659. Learning a Language by (Just) Reading You Said?

2445. We Had Nice Teachers To Remember!

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

2064. Connecting people from different countries