1755. A Refreshing View of Learning New Words



Now I’m giving you more learning strategies for learning vocabulary. 

First I will say that I’ve learned a lot about learning strategies in Rebecca Oxford’s book about them, published in 1990. 

More strategies that I have learned from my students or strategies I’ve utilized myself: make up a group of words of the same semantic field; 
focus on the spelling and take a mental “picture” of a difficult word; 
think or write sentences by using those words; 
focus on those terms that have a Latin origin and so they may be similar to the ones in their mother tongue (our language is Spanish, whose origin is Latin); 
write the same difficult word several times; 
or repeat mentally; 
play with the new words in some way, like scribbling them; 
play with the sentences I wrote with that word; 
write very original or fantastic sentences with those new words; 
every day learn one, or two, or three, which demands self-discipline; 
just revise them; 
ask myself from their corresponding words in my L1 (mother language). 

All this can be done within someone’s personal study or all the class with the teacher. / Photo from: orange juice. quedificiles wordpress com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

3659. Learning a Language by (Just) Reading You Said?

2445. We Had Nice Teachers To Remember!

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

2064. Connecting people from different countries