3620. Why Read the Classics in the Class?

 On my previous post I told you that we teachers have to also educate our students for their future… and for the present alike. And we have to have them contemplate beauty. For example through texts. 

And always in accordance with their parents and with human dignity. 

Well, you know, if possible, we can have them read the classics, where we can find and encounter beauty. Plus other human values such as good, evil, love, virtues, generosity, sincerity and honesty, doing good to others, friendship, honorability, etcetera. 

You know what? In principle I was going to have all my students read graded readers and other full version books, for instance classics, but for two of my groups I’m going to introduce an English coursebook, so what can I do to offer good reads? 

Well, I have to check whether the coursebook contents are okay and in accordance to human dignity – otherwise I would have to offer other texts and not that coursebook. Anyway, I foresee that the textbook is alright. And usually those texts within coursebooks may be rich in their contents. 

I said classics are okay and they offer human values. Some teachers and professors introduce classics in the class and try for their students to learn from those books. And the school subject comprises the actual reading of those classics as its own program. It sounds great: it is carried out at some universities on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. And the experience has turned out fine. Have a nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

399. Creating a story