3613. Are Your Students Autonomous Learners? How to Work It Out: Some Hints

 Time flies. And thus we have less than three months left of classes. Today I wanted to give you five more points or tips about our lessons, in case it might help you to attain successful foreign or second language classes. I teach adults, yet all this may be carried out with high school kids too. 

1. Next Wednesday one student will give an oral presentation – a simple one – on phonetics, phonetic transcription and the IPA, or international phonetic alphabet, because a learner of for example English should know how to interpret the phonetic transcription of a word he might look up in a dictionary. 

2. We have no course-book properly, yet I use a B1 textbook to find and learn about examples of activities I could implement in class. B1 is lower-intermediate level. 

3. I take texts from that book to implement listening activities, for my students need to practice that language skill. I carry out lead-in activities before the listening proper, and follow-up ones always. 

4. On my emails to my students as a class I send them links to English websites so they would learn on their own as well. Successful learners also learn on their own. 

5. I take learning strategies from Rebecca Oxford, for example from her 1990 book or from the Internet, and suggest them to my dear students so they would learn about learning and acquiring English. You know, she is an ace at language learning strategies – you can search about her proposals on the Web, it’s simple to find them. 

And that’s it. Have a nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2445. We Had Nice Teachers To Remember!

2064. Connecting people from different countries