3714. How to Teach Adults, and Teens, and Enjoying the Lessons

 I teach adults. English to adults. And they may be great, so great, and demanding. 

I’ve also taught kids, and I’ve written a lot on classroom management. With adults the thing seems to be different, evidently. And if you teach this public, I’d like to point out something that also may help you if you teach teens for example. 

I guess deference is a term that suits here, both adults and kids. When you get into the classroom, alongside when you encounter adults at the school halls and corridors, you must refill up your tank with a big amount of patience. 

Yes, but all is smoothened if you love your students, if you become able to actually listen to them, with honest affection and attention. 

I would tell you too: Don’t argue with them at all, don’t quarrel with them: all may be suited and solved in a nice and patient way. Just listen to them, and try and understand them, and their viewpoints, being in their shoes: perhaps they may be right, and you’ve got to change your mind. Also ask them to forgive you if you screwed something up, minor it may be though. 

Be polite, kind, nice, attentive; deference may be the right term here. 

Oh, something else today: Enjoy the lessons with them, the span of time you spend with them. Do not think, kind of, I’ve taught another lesson, one less for the weekend. I mean, you can catch you in that thinking way, yet think better: I ought to enjoy teaching them. In some way at least. Just try. 

Alike try to have them work hard: You have to make them capable of having discussions and conversations in English. That’s the goal mostly. 

The teacher influences upon his or her students more with what they do in class than with what they teach. Although they may be adults already, you’ve got the responsibility of educating and making them better persons. All you do in class has some influence on them. If you teach the elderly, well, smile at them too – yikes, you may smile at kids too. Have a nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

581. Calm down

3715. Do You Really Listen to Your Students?

157. Speeches, debates, promises, promises, promises

3593. How Can I Help My Students that Failed? Some Ideas