3712. Is My Work as a Teacher Any Useful?
One month ago I wrote down a note that said something like “The teacher’s function is to get knowledge into his or her students’ minds.” In fact it was taken from a book I was then reading, by J. B. Chautard, which book was published about a century ago, and it has been published into numerous editions ever since. Actually the note was in Spanish and it sounded kind of “La misión del docente es que los conocimientos penetren en las mentes de sus alumnos.”
And I guess it’s just great, and nowadays we should say the same about our function as teachers. Well, you know, you teacher may feel some burn-out or you may be hectic, or even alienated, yet just let me tell you something which might perhaps help you out somehow.
I consider the teacher as also – or primarily – source of knowledge. For that aim he or she ought to continuously keep learning and reading about the subject they teach. Just a few minutes per day, or half an hour if attainable.
And then we have that teacher, philosopher and pedagogue Gregorio Luri tells us that that teacher needs to speak a lot in class: he or she is source of knowledge on the cell, or on Ancient Regime, or on phrasal verbs. And they have to speak well, with accurateness, exactitude and just an example to admire and follow: they have to get their students enthused with the cell, or the period before the liberal revolutions, or phrasal verbs.
Each teacher should have one book in his hands, so as to put it. I think all this stuff is something to avoid it would be let down. Have a nice day, and if you’re enjoying your summer vacations, just rest to rejuvenate yourself: maybe a large group of students – and their families – are awaiting for you after the summer. Your work? Just crucial today!
Comments