3518. Learning a Lot by Reading: So Motivating!

Reading may be so motivating. For our students and for us their teachers. As well reading may be a skill that makes you learn a lot of a foreign or second language. 

I’m a foreign language teacher: I teach English to my countrymen Spanish people. And I can assure you that you learn a lot by reading. Also you acquire the language: you learn it in a not adverted way: you internalize a lot of language without being aware of that fact. 

Currently I’m re-reading some English literature. It’s great. And I’m learning a lot. Now more than when I read it for the first time. 

Something to bear in mind: we have to accept that we learn little by little: a language is not learned by big chunks or by vast lots. Little by little. And if you’re enthused, much better. Just dedicate some minutes every day. 

By reading a lot you are creating and building up the language sense: you are able, you become able to discern whether something is English-like or not, you can discern rather easily if something is appropriate for the language or otherwise not. 

I’m gaining – modestly speaking – quite a vast vocabulary. Little by little. Yelling, bellowing, drily, keeping my face straight, I daresay, speechless, I overheard, defiantly, indignantly, gripping, shirty, uttering, marauder, tempting, badgering, in her mistiest, what are you tutting at us for?… are some words and expressions I’ve learned or remembered by reading that piece of English literature. And remember we’re not perfect, we have to improve, though. Have a nice week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

758. Irregular verbs now and then

382. A school... of fish

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo