3643. How to Learn a Lot of a Language at Home

 We teachers have to learn from the experts. If we want to teach our dear students fine. 

So Stephen Krashen – an expert on learning a second or foreign language himself – put his first theories in the seventies and eighties of last century. According to them we know that we can learn a language, ok, but – and it’s good news – as well we can acquire that dear language.

Subconsciously. 

We can acquire a language without being aware we are learning that tongue. 

For that we have to receive comprehensible input in that language, for example by reading a fiction book we have selected ourselves, not necessarily an assigned class read. 

Of course also we can learn that language: it’s when we study its grammar and such in an aware way we are learning. 

And – if you let me say so – to produce that language (to speak and write) we can hand those both learned and acquired languages, which is what I note I do when I speak or write in English – which is not my mother tongue, as it’s clear enough... 

That expert has also said that we have to have a low affective filter to input that language: we may be so willing to learn it, relaxed, focused on it, we just wish to learn it, leave me alone! 

And I guess the foreign or second language teacher ought to foster both ways of getting that language: learning and acquiring it. 

If it’s helpful, with my adult students, I tell them to select graded readers in English to read at home: in that way and with a suited level they may be learning (and acquiring) English in so a nice way: I note they are improving their English: for example they have some increasing lexis they can use at class discussions. Bravo for them. 

Some of my students read unabridged books as well. The nice ideas on this post are taken from Krashen, plus some of my own harvest. I can assure you I have learned quite a lot by reading books in English. And you, have a nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

3659. Learning a Language by (Just) Reading You Said?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

399. Creating a story