3657. How to Develop a Lesson that Could Be Efficient

 You may be a teacher, one of a second or foreign language. Well, that’s is a marvelous enterprise. 

Now I wanted to draw some lines about what a good lesson could be, according to my experience plus others’ one. 

Thus we can start the class with a warmer or warm-up activity. I ask my dear students about today’s date, and about the weather. Then, within that warmer, we practice saying sentences with such or such grammar structure, one we are practicing lately. Or they answer some questions by me. Or by them, to each other. 

Then we work on the homework set on the previous lesson. Every day I set some homework, at the end of the class. And usually they’ll have to review what done in class – me giving examples of what and how they may revise at home. 

And next we may work either on photocopies I hand out, or on the textbook we are working on. 

Much weight should be given in class to speaking in the target language. 

I plan each and every lesson, on a notebook for that purpose, even sometimes I call on the students and show them the lesson plan. That may help out. 

Now some activities are carried out on the spot; others are carried out by them silently and on their own, with their dictionaries, often one online on their cell phones. I believe that silent working on such or such activities is a very educative thing. They work at their own pace. 

And I tell them kind of, You have five minutes (or seven or …) to do that activity, one we have already read the instructions of. 

A silent and concentrated class of students is a positive point about learning and acquiring that target language. Also in a relaxed atmosphere. 

Now I teach adults, yet all this stuff may turn out great also with teens for instance. 

And please, remember, a lot of speaking, not forgetting to also practice listening, reading, and writing. 

And the students, as homework, also read some graded readers they have gotten, each student ones they’ve chosen on their own. Or unabridged books, if they have a quite high level. Reading boosts learning a language. 

And that’s it. I often finish the lesson by thanking them for their cooperation with my teaching, and they also thank me for my teaching. Have a nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

399. Creating a story