3661. Do Our Students Really Wish to Learn?

 We as teachers wish our students would learn, is that right? That’s the reason why we teach our dear students. 

What about if also they would wish to really learn? Well, we may do a lot to make them autonomous learners. 

We as teachers need to put their ball onto their roof, let me explain. I teach English, ok. And teach adults. I’m working out they would wish to really learn, and I can say a lot good about them. 

Those students may not just attend lessons and that’s it, as if the teacher would be the main one interested in they would learn. If you actually want to learn a language, you may not confine your effort and struggle to just attend classes and do your best there, as though the teacher would be the one really interested in they would learn. You have to give your best as a learner, as a student. You have to invest your best in the struggle. 

These ideas were already sated by great H. D. Brown (1989). I’ve already written about him on this very same blog. 

The more autonomous they’d become, the more they’d learn! It’s what someone I’m thinking about did, indeed, and he learned quite much. 

You’ve got to put your best self into work, as that aforementioned scholar said, with other words, same idea though. 

So in adults’ case that’s the way to teach. But also in teens’ case, even in children’s as well … with their teacher’s help plus their parents’ help. 

Something else for today: when lesson planning let’s think of activities that would really make students learn that language: you may bear this in mind when planning your dear lessons. 

Even we as teachers ought to think big: great goals for our students, for example when now thinking about next school year, if the case, as in the north earth hemisphere. And at the same time in a realistic way: what I mean is we teachers shouldn’t confine to teaching and covering my contract, by doing the least we can. I know you may be a hectic teacher, yet we can consider to have great aims. 

Something so as to finish today. We as adults’ teachers may want to also set homework, but please consider if you may allow some freedom. I mean, when I assign work for home to my students, often I tell them they can do this or that if they judge they need it. They may review what done in class, I tell them, and they can do this or that way, the way they think best. 

Sometimes and lately I also ask them questions to answer if they actually reviewed previous lesson: they’ll be able to answer if they’ve revised at home. Even I tell them they can do the workbook activities if they think they need it, which is normally the case. 

I mean, I try and have them carry out work at home, combining just advice and something they should do because their teacher said so. In other words, in class I ask them by calling on someone specific, N. did you review last lesson, yes, no, a little … ? And some other times I ask them specific questions they may answer if they’ve actually reviewed last lesson. Have a nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1781. How To Do Things in a Correct Way

3662. Some Hints about Teaching with Enthusiasm

3663. Another Person who Learned a Lot by Just Reading Books