3514. How to Motivate Our Students: Some Hints

Teaching is great, as I’ve already said. Several times. I’ve said it several times. Ok. 

When teaching a second or foreign language we teachers have to create the atmosphere of communication in the classroom, even at the school corridors and halls. Communication in the school, that’s it. And communication in that language we’re teaching. 

But also we have to give our dear students language facts: vocabulary, grammar points, curious and interesting points about the language. 

And we should carry out activities where our students have to interact with us their teachers and with other learners as well. 

This morning I observed some of my students dialoguing in English at the beginning of the class. English is our common target language. They were talking about their yesterday’s experience at speaking with some American volunteers, young ones, who offer conversation sessions for my learners. These latter ones are adults, mostly retired people. 

They were making errors and mistakes – my students I mean – but I did not interrupt them: they were communicating in that nice tongue. As well from time to time I make them practice saying things grammatically correct. 

This morning I didn’t butt in: I let them speak in English. But please remember, also we should present and practice grammar points. 

And then over the class I tried to implement activities which should be meaningful for those learning people – activities with which they reckon they’re doing something useful. So activities which they can admit they’re helpful for their learning and acquiring the target tongue. 

These classes are a high percentage in English. That is communication, I can tell you. Have a nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

2445. We Had Nice Teachers To Remember!