3532. Want to Motivate Your Students? Some Hints

You – we – teachers in a Covid-19 situation, when working and teaching remotely, wish our students would work with serenity, right? 

I do know some of you, many of you, are doing this way. You have my admiration. Many an example are to be found in the USA, from what I learn from the Internet, and alike at Attendis, this latter teaching company, a large one, in southern Spain. Etcetera. All throughout our planet. Many other teachers are doing the same way, perhaps you my reader. 

Today I wanted to say that positive motivation is a very positive way of reduplicating our dear students’ efforts. 

I mean, we have to correct our students’ behavior and mistakes, and that is necessary, but let us not forget to reckon and recognize what our students do well. Their efforts, I mean. 

I often – not always – say to my adult learners at the end of the lessons, when these ones are over, something like “Okay, thank you for your cooperation”. And it works. And my students, I feel and notice, they’re improving – I teach English as a second language. 

We could also tell our students about what they are capable to do, together with reckoning what they already do right. Also because they may feel like saying, “Well, you know, I cannot do that and my English will keep being poor...” “Oh no way, you can do it”, I could tell them. 

We can say to them what they can do fine, but without adulating them or too much contra-productive praising. I mean, we have to be nice, kind, gentle, human and humane with our students, yes and forever, but bearing in mind we’re educating them! 

You obtain more with a gentle word than with a zillion angry words. Our students may be doing right! 

Furthermore in these remote teaching times! Let’s acknowledge and reckon what they do right! With prudence. 

Even with problematic and disruptive students we get more with positive motivation: They ever do something right: We can find what they’re bettering, small things they may be, though. 

Please take care and stay healthy, and have a nice week, you have my prayers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

758. Irregular verbs now and then

399. Creating a story