3556. Some Hints on Learning a Language a Bit More Effectively Perhaps

Many people need to learn a foreign or second language. For their work for example or perhaps they want to get a new job. And it’s our mission as teachers to facilitate that. Now amid these special circumstances of the Covid-19 crisis. 

Lately I've told you my readers that reading books however the format may be a stupendous way of learning and acquiring that tongue. 

Not only is reading good for learning: we have to practice listening, speaking and writing. But reading is so great and it comes to the same plate: it actually helps a lot, also as Stephen Krashen puts it. 

I do it and I have done it over many years and I can assure you that you learn a great deal. 

I’m reading a Jules Verne’s novel, in a complete and unabridged version. It’s okay. Each learner has his or her own unique way of affording learning a language, even the same person changes and shifts ways of learning along his or her career as a learner. 

I read a couple of pages and then go back to focus randomly upon various words which I take a mental photo of and get those words onto my memory, which one I have developed over the years. 

The lee of a mountain, creeping, swamping, swaying, heading for, awning, anchoring… are some words I have learned in that way and now I can easily retrieve here. 

I utilize the dictionary rather little. I infer the meaning of new words from the context. 

And in that way both language and vocabulary are increasing in my head. And those words come down whilst I’m typing a new blog post for instance. Or when speaking. 

It’s not my only experience: many people do the same or similar – almost anyone can attain that goal

I insist on purpose: the language you’re learning and its vocab get bigger and bigger: words, grammar patterns, ways of saying such and such things in the target language, etc. 

Something else: in that way – by reading – you learn but also acquire the language subconsciously, and that gets you a bit nearer a native speaker. 

Some words are repeated while reading and that also helps you learn those terms. 

I’m finishing. By reading and being patient you for sure will understand novels, poetry, non-fiction, dramas, more and more. It's a common experience among learners. Have a nice week, fellow readers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

3659. Learning a Language by (Just) Reading You Said?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

708. Communication unites us