3504. On How to Learn a Lot of Vocabulary In and Out of the Classroom

Learning and acquiring a foreign language, like English in my case and my students’, demands learning and acquiring a vast vocabulary. This is clear enough, right? 

Something I implement when daily learning and acquiring English is reading books in that language. I consciously try and learn new words from those readings. Every single day. 

And when writing for example these blog posts some words come up to mind and then I use them, while writing. For example ways of saying things in English, or single words, or phrases. Or whatever. 

I am sure also I gain and acquire words I’m not aware I’m acquiring. Also those words may come up when writing. More often when I read more. 

Currently I’m reading a book about teaching English by great Jeremy Harmer plus a book on Apollo missions to the moon in the sixties and early seventies, when I was born and a young infant. Great. 

Sometimes I read as if I were writing those texts, word by word, and in that way it’s like I were using those new words – whose meaning I try and guess from the context. 

Also I can say I think in English while reading those texts: in no way do I translate anything. 

Alike at the end of last school year I set some readings to my adult students for the summer, and now at the beginning of the new school year I will collect those books I lent to them. Sorry for my errors and mistakes anyway. 

By the way, I also use the dictionary sometimes. As well whilst reading I am glad when I read a word I’d previously looked up in the dictionary. This one is by Oxford University Press and as well I use wordreference.com, which obviously is an online dictionary. Have a nice week. --- Something I do sometimes is going back to some text already read and then revise some words, some line of the text, some phrase. That helps me keep some words in mind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo