3670. The Importance of a New School Year Very First Lesson

 Now I’m presenting what could be a first lesson, now that we are starting a new school year. I hope something from all this may help you out, whatever foreign or second language level you teach. In my case I teach English to adults from some false beginner to upper intermediate levels, namely from some A2 to C1. 

All this may be even something beautiful, because we treat people, persons, and each and every one is unique, and we teachers may be influencing much on their lives: what a responsibility we have! 

Something basic from this start lesson: we may address each student by looking into their eyes so they may feel they are and they are going to be treated like singular persons. That is something that has helped me a lot along my career as an English teacher, both kids and adults. 

First I may introduce myself – on the running first days I will get to know their names; all this may vary in your case, obviously, depending on whom you teach; anyway I hope all this may help you out. 

Also at this stage I briefly say something about my degree plus my career as a teacher. 

Then I welcome them to this English course. 

By the way, if I’m going to address false beginners and for this very first lesson, I might say the same chunks of messages both in English and in Spanish – their common mother language. With upper intermediate and advanced students, only in English, yet rather slowly so they may easily follow me. 

Next I’ll talk about the four language skills: we’re going to practice all four, mainly speaking though. 

Next the course level, for example and roughly speaking an intermediate level – some B1/B2. 

Then I’ll introduce the textbook we are to use and its advantages; however, I let them know not to purchase it yet: sometimes for example one student bought the coursebook but he or she dropped and gave up soon, because the level could be too high for them; anyway, they could work on the book on their own, if they finally drop from the course. 

Then I tell them that they will learn a lot by reading literature and non-fiction (besides the textbook). 

Then I give them some behavior rules … or just one: to arrive at class on time! 

Next, I tell them the material they will need: a pen, a pencil for writing on their workbooks, an eraser … a dictionary – or they may consult an online one on their cell phones. 

Then I remark the importance of carrying out the homework I’ll set at the end of each lesson – nobody learns a language by just attending two week lessons: they ought to work at home on a daily basis. 

I tell them they must give their best to learn English, plus each student will learn as much as he or she tries. 

On coming days we could make up a WhatsApp group so they can let me know if somebody is to miss a lesson, or myself! One of the students on a free way may be the admin. 

Finally I let them know when the course finishes, namely at the end of May. Also I tell them I’m at their entire disposal to learn English. And if some time is left, I hand out some printed tests with writing activities so I may learn who they are, the way they are, and also their English level. 

Phew! And that’s it. That’s the model, the basic model of first lesson I teach my dear students, and hope it may help you out. Have a nice beginning of a new school year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3669. To Bear in Mind when Lesson Planning: Some Possible Aid

3671. Flexible Teachers Hit the Jackpot

3667. Do We Have to Help Low-Achieving Students?

3660. Those Great Teachers We Like to Recall from Our Childhood