534. This is an adventure for me



Teacher of English A said to teacher of English B, “I wanted to show you the planning of my first class of English with adult learners that are going to attend an adult school center to participate in varied cultural and sport activities. Some of them are retired people and also there are younger learners. The groups are small. Some of them graduated in some university degree quite a number of years ago. They attend the classes of English because of some interest to learn basic English, in a relaxing mode, also because they want to attend one of the cultural activities offered by the center.”

(Class planned on January 5, 2010)

Level 0 – total or false beginners – about 8 classes

Tuesdays and Thursdays 18:15

1st class:

1. Self-introduction. Goal: basic communication: basic vocabulary, expressions and some basic grammar, simple conversations or questions and answers. - At their disposal. – Learn their names.

2. Listening to me whilst doing things around in the room.

3. I elicit words in L1, and I write translation on WB.

4. Some “games” about words: I say a word in L1, they in L2 (the words are on the WB); I say a word in L2; they in L1; one student says as many words as he or she can remember; I say meanings in L1 and they say the word in L2.

5. Simple and intuitive conversation; acting out by me!. – Basic questions about me and them, and objects, etc.

6. I write basic expressions in L2; I say translation in L1, and they try guess version in L2: ‘Good afternoon.’ – ‘My name is Yolanda.’ – ‘I am from Spain.’ – ‘I am learning English in N Center.’ – ‘I live in Granada, but I am from Motril.’ – ‘We have 5 children and 16 grandchildren.’ – ‘People say I am a good cook.’ ------ We work on this stuff.

7. They listen to me while doing things around. – I ask them in L1 what they have understood.

8. We revise, in somehow fun way, the vocabulary studied.

9. They ask me questions in L1 about what they want to say in L2.

10. Working on prepositions.

/ Photo from: i telegraph co uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3657. How to Develop a Lesson that Could Be Efficient

2788. A Smiling Teacher

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2212. Saint Joseph, father of the Holy Family

2540. Why Do You Shout So Much?