252. The Right Stuff


A few posts before I attached a picture of the seven great guys that initiated the space dream, within The Mercury Project.
The American manned space flights, because as everybody knows, the first man into space was great Yuri Gagarin, in 1961.
On that post I typed some names of those also glorious pioneers, just the ones that came to my mind at that moment.
I've just finished to read the novel by Tom Wolfe about this dream team.
I think it be fair to say all their names.
The novel of Tom Wolfe is The Right Stuff. I have read it in the Spanish version, published by Anagrama publisher, under the title of Elegidos para la gloria. Lo Que Hay Que Tener (ed. of 1984).
So, their names are, in the order I have achieved to retrieve:
Grissom,
Glenn,
Schirra,
Slayton,
Cooper,
Carpenter,
Shepard.
I am very grateful to these men, as well as their families: their wives and children, also protagonists of the novel... and of the real events.
(Thanks to Blogger also, for letting me aknowledge this gratitude).
The pic shows Yuri Gagarin; thank you, chandrakantha com.
I just noticed today (Jan 16, 2010) that the acronym "CCCP" might have been removed from the picture. I just realized that I have always seen the acronym on the helmet. This acronym might have been deleted not by the website I took the pic from, but on another website or whatever: I do not necessarily blame chandrakanta com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

2445. We Had Nice Teachers To Remember!