751. Working together can boost efficiency






Here is a thread post that was published in the web-site of British Council – BBC, www.teachingenglish.org.uk , and a reply by me. If you want, obviously you can provide some contribution. Sorry for the possible format settings on this post.




A qualified English language teacher...so now what?



Submitted by nbotfield_elt on 18 November, 2011 - 20:50



Hello Everybody!

Hope you're all well. I'm a newly qualified teacher with a BA in English language, an MA in English Language Teaching, a TESOL, bags of enthusiasm, heaps of theoretical knowledge and...no job. I understand the job situation is pretty dire in the UK for everyone at the moment so I accept the lack of interest in hiring an NQT. I'm going abroad to teach in about 9 months time, however, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to do to keep me fresh and in the game for the time being? I've applied to volunteer once a week at a refugee centre but other than that, I can't afford to give up too much of my time for free.

Has anyone had this kind of experience before? Is there something other than teaching that you perhaps did, within the field of ELT, that might assist in keeping qualifications fresh, whilst perhaps also looking good on a CV? I'm a little bit stuck as every route I've gone down so far, e.g exam marker, winter English camps etc. has been blocked as experience in teaching is always needed.

So, in short, is there anything NQTs can do in the UK that will make them more desirable to future employers?

Any suggestions welcome!
N.








A qualified Teacher... so now what?



Submitted on 21 November, 2011 - 13:55



Hi N.,



I think I can, up to some extent, understand your circumstances from what you clearly tell.



I’d like to give you any useful hint, if possible, from what another teacher like me can say – although our circumstances are different.



First, as you actually see, the beginnings of any career are hard and tough. However you’got many positive points in your favour.



As far as I know, a native speaker of English is welcome here in Spain if he or she wishes to teach English. Here in my country we do have very big cyphers of unemployment. However, as I’ve said, and I see how things are going on here more or less, an English native speaker is very useful. Even more if the teacher is British.



I live in Granada, south of Spain, you may know: Sierra Nevada and skiing, Alhambra, a lot of tourists... and you have amazing titles that any employer would like to have, from an overview perspective. Not only in teaching English but in many varied jobs – I see you’d like to work according as your achievements though.



Plus you have some professional and interesting experience; experience of a job or work is very well welcome here; all of this is something to take into consideration.



Now, and more and more, Spanish people are longing for mastering English: quite many, many people, mostly young people, can’t be hired just because the employer demands a high level of English. And you are a highly-qualified teacher to teach that very advanced level.



Today nearly any (almost any) young person does need English to apply for a job.



I guess, anyway, that lodging and the sort can be a big problem for you, as you have little money.



In my case, at the end, I was hired for a job as an English teacher... and I’m not an English native speaker.



Well, I tried to give you some spark of light, I’d like. I would, if you let me do so, encourage you: you do have interesting titles few people have.



That said, and you’re a clever person, I presume, the stuff written here is not sort of paradise and all is easy – not necessary to state, but I did.



At your disposal. Best wishes, N.



Fernando



Granada, Spain



English teacher and teacher trainer



http://fernandoexperiences.blogspot.com




(Photo on this post from: officefreaks com. working together)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2064. Connecting people from different countries

2445. We Had Nice Teachers To Remember!

3657. How to Develop a Lesson that Could Be Efficient