752. A class with young kids




One day teacher of English B said to teacher of English A, “A couple years ago I taught English to a small group: they were three. The youngest kid was 9 and the others were 13 and 12. At those ages that difference of years, as you know, is very big.



The youngest one was smart, though had little English. I started to give him instructions, sometimes, at every class. Like ‘Go to the green door and open it... now close it,’ etc. I made gestures related to the actions, with my arms and hands. If I spoke to him in English he would understand little – actually some words were unknown to him - but he began to understand me, and other instructions given by his classmates. This young kid began to relate, to connect ‘that language’ – he knew it was English – with actions and the physical surroundings. Moreover I had got to have this kid move and stand up often: it was necessary for him to do that, at his age, and also because he had been doing homework and studying for rather a long while before, in another classroom.” / Photo from: blogs longwood edu. female teacher with children in classroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2445. We Had Nice Teachers To Remember!

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo